Quantum Information Technology (QIT) is an emergent interdisciplinary field of study that combines the areas of physics, mathematics, and computer science. By joining the Quantum Information Technology Master’s programme you will acquire the necessary knowledge and skills in the theory and applications of the technological aspects of quantum information theory. This Master’s programme runs over two academic years, and is fully taught in English. The main focus of the study will be on theoretical aspects of QIT, however study of physical implementations and laboratory sessions are also included. QIT is an innovative and rapidly developing global field of study. These include unbreakable cryptography, ultraprecision measurements, and quantum computers which can solve problems which are intractable on any classical computer. These developing technologies have the potential to revolutionise the modern world: from mobile phones to medicine, chemistry, and finance.
The programme covers four core sections:
- Quantum information processing, computation, and communication
- Quantum systems, their manipulations and non-classical properties
- Hard-skills: analytical and numerical methods, programming skills
- Soft-skills: scientific presentations, science communication, research methodology, and collaborative research.
By coming to Gdańsk, you will particularly benefit from the research environment at UG provided by the “Institute of Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics” and the “International Centre for Theory of Quantum Technologies”, together with their international scientific network across four continents, as well as the cluster of “Polish Quantum Research”. The University of Gdańsk plays a pioneering role in Quantum Technologies, and is currently one of the leading centers in quantum technologies research worldwide. Throughout this Master’s programme you will learn directly from research-active scientists who are leading experts in their fields.
Special features of this Master’s programme
Joining the Quantum Information Technology Master’s programme you have the opportunity to:
- Learn from active researchers of international reputation, experts in the field they lecture.
- Study in an international interdisciplinary environment.
- Develop a comprehensive set of skills that will prepare you for your next step, such as presentation skills, use of the English Language, and knowledge on commercialisation and start-up companies.
- Gain work experience through the internships programme.
- Tailor your studies by choosing the “optional lectures” according to your own interests.
Thriving topics you will learn about include:
- How classical and quantum information can be processed, and how computation and cryptographic protocols work.
- The bizarre non-classical aspects of nature that we can harness and profit from.
- Ways in which quantum systems can behave and be manipulated.
- Advanced mathematical and numerical methods, and programming techniques.
Design of experiments and computer simulations for quantum information implementations.
In this interdisciplinary field of study, the employment scope is broad:
- Graduates may work in industrial and service companies that conduct R&D activities on the design and implementation of quantum technologies.
- Graduates may continue doctoral studies on quantum information technologies and its interdisciplinary fields at universities and research centers.
Study programme - link
- Diploma grade - max 40 points
- Interview - max 60 points (interview topics: basics of Physics, basics of Quantum Mechanics)
- Graduates of studies at tertiary-level in the field of science or technical, medical, natural sciences are entitled to apply.
Required documents - link
- End of registration: September 14th, 2021
- Interview: September 15th, 2021
- Announcement of the list of candidates: September 16th, 2021
- Announcement of the list of successful candidates: September 24th, 2021
Where to submit documents after the list of candidates has been announced?
Faculty of Mathematics, Physics and Computer Science
Wita Stwosza 57
room 202, 203
call: +48 58 523 22 54